The Employment Specialist will deliver Nunavummi Disabilities Makinnasuaqtiit Society’s (NDMS) job readiness curriculum through the Tunnganarniq Training Centre for persons living with a disability. The successful candidate will be required to conduct job readiness and job search workshops to motivate participants and help them develop the skills needed to secure and maintain employment. The successful candidate will be required to travel to other communities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Develop and prepare training materials and lesson plans.
• Administer and interpret approved aptitude and proficiency tests including an ILP according to prescribed procedures.
• Provide job coaching and job search assistance.
• Provide classroom instruction to participants in computer literacy, job search techniques, life skills, money management, job retention strategies, pre-vocational/career transition opportunities and one-on-one tutoring.
• Use classroom instruction and group participation activities to assist program participants in developing numeracy, literacy, and transferable skills.
• Develop teaching outlines and select and/or design appropriate instructional materials.
• Develop individual participant assessment based on performance and report on participant progress.
• Provide individual tutoring related to individual needs in areas of basic skills, vocational exploration, goal setting, and problem-solving.
• Conduct needs assessment through formal and informal evaluation.
• Recruit, engage, instruct and retain participants.
• Participate in employer engagement events and promote inclusive hiring practices.
• Maintain detailed records, and complete regular reports as per prescribed deadline.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Expectations:
• Bachelor Degree or Diploma in a human services field or other relevant degree.
• Minimum 2 years experience working with people with disabilities.
• Experience working in a formal classroom setting considered an asset.
• Expert people person, comfortable mentoring and developing skills in others.
• Good decision-making skills and the ability to think critically.
• Report writing an asset including: weekly reports, grants, proposals, and tenders.
• Proficiency with Email, Internet, Microsoft Word and Excel spreadsheets.
• Ability to communicate in English is required, and ability to communicate in Inuktitut and/or French considered a strong asset
Location: Iqaluit, NU
Deadline to Apply: June 1, 2018
Priority Hiring: Priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claims Beneficiaries.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to:
PO Box 4212,
Iqaluit, NU X0A 1H0